Fedora & BRLTTY installation info

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Mon May 8 16:03:24 UTC 2006

Fedora has an ancient brltty (3.2) but it didn't seem to be installed for
me. Anyway, it predates USB support.

If you haven't already, look at the instructions on the brltty download page
(mielke.cc/brltty) that tell you how to have braille during install. Also, I
found the instructions on the speakup page to be of immense help even though
I don't use speech and don't have to muck around with the kernel. And
there's the Fedora Installation Guide also.

Support for braille devices is not automatic. You must configure it with
either command line switches or by editing the /etc/brltty.conf file. In the
file you'll add lines something like:

braille-driver al
braille-device usb: # Note the colon

Good luck,