A Question About Growing a Linux Screen Reader

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri May 19 16:44:26 UTC 2006

	There are a lot of good screen readers for Linux around,
but none seem to fit exactly what I am looking for such as the
ability to drive one of the old Echo external synthesizers of
which I have access to 3 at work and home.  Is there any good
place to start reading to figure out what I need to do to build
the kind of console I want?

	Having written a small screen reader under DOS, I know
you need to be able to look at key press scan codes and intercept
data in standard output.  If you can do that, you can really make
lots of neat stuff happen.  In UNIX, it should actually be easier
to do these things since the functions available seem to be much
more robust.

	Any ideas are appreciated.  Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer