Is it Possible to Build a Knoppix-Like CDROM Version of DOS?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Nov 6 19:46:25 UTC 2006

If you build a bootable CDROM containing DOS, what letter is it
likely to assume?  I wanted to be able to install Linux on a
system but be able to stick in a CDROM containing DOS, MSKermit
and a screen reader to use that system as a talking serial
terminal in to other Linux boxes.  One must set the path in
autoexec.bat and that includes the drive designation.  It
occurred to me that I wasn't sure what letter it would assume so
I am asking whether anyone else has done this and  whether or not
it worked.  Is there already an image of a bootable version of
DOS I could add the speech to?

	The actual speech comes from one of the Echo
synthesizers.  This setup works great on a conventional hard
drive and even can be made to work with just floppies, but a
CDROM would have everything one needed all on one disk.  It
should work on just about any system with two serial ports.

	I guess you could even use the vdisk application found in
some versions of DOS to make a virtual disk out of some of the
RAM so one could log to a file if desired and save it to a floppy
although most of the time, all that is needed is the working DOS
and screen reader.

	Any ideas welcome.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer