Audio Editing by Sound?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Nov 11 15:32:25 UTC 2006

Well, I wonder if an ideal audio editor is available?  Ideally the interface
might look like tr player, where I could left-and-right arrow accoross the
audio.  The nicest part would be while on a particular segment of audio, I
could then do a block, cut, and paste ether out of the current file, or to a
new file.
I think some1 suggested ecasound?  Well, with fc6 I tried manually, as well as
apt-get, and yum install, to install ecasound, but no matter which version, it
fails dependancies.
I guess you could say, I am looking for the feel of editing with a reel2reel.
Thanks in advance for suggestions
Hart