Has anyone tried Wine?

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 01:43:32 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> has anyone tried Wine? I am interested in that if it is possible to run accessible games under LInux. I can use Vmware but thought this could be an alternative.
> Many thanks,
> Christian

If you go to <http://www.winehq.com/> and look around, they keep a
directory of apps that run on Wine and how well.

But the premier Wine variant for gaming is proprietary, Transgaming's
Cedega, <http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=29>.

Cedega is the work of the former Corel developers headed by Gavriel
State who ported all of the Corel major apps to Wine and previously
had handled all of the Corel ports to the Mac platform. When Corel got
out of the Linux business, Gav and friends launched Transgaming, which
is purely aimed at gamers. By all accounts they've done a pretty
amazing job of developing and maintaining a Wine fork devoted strictly
to gaming whilst keeping the separate Wine and Cedega code bases as
identical as possible. They contribute a lot of code back to Wine.
Cedega is proprietary, but inexpensive. You'd need to look around
their site for a list of tested games.

Second choice for a Wine variant for gaming would probably be
Codeweavers' Crossover. Here is the list of games that have been
evaluated running on Crossover for Linux.
<http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/rank/?order=avg;sort=DESC>.
The Codeweavers folk are also good guys who are key contributors to
Wine. Crossover is also proprietary but inexpensive.

I was a subscriber to the Wine development list for several years. I
have not used Wine extensively myself, and not at all since Corel
jumped ship on Linux. But I'm familiar with the major players. :-)

Best regards,

Marbux