DOS Linux and dsl?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 14 16:23:52 UTC 2006

	Well, my honest answer is that I can't say for sure.

	There are lots of different protocols in use at the point
where you connect to the network.  At home, I am on SBC's DSL
which uses something called P P P O E that stands for Point to Point
Protocol Over Ethernet.  With that protocol, you use an
authentication method involving a password to get to the P P P O E
server.  When you get logged in, the P P P O E SERVER GIVES YOU
AN ip ADDRESS WHICH GETS YOU ON THE iNTERNET.  iF YOU USE THE
RIGHT KIND OF ROUTER, IT CAN ALSO DO p p p o e SO IT DOES ALL
THAT FOR YOU WHEN YOU CONNECT TO THE dsl MODEM.

	iF YOU ARE ON A LOT OF CABLE tv SYSTEM MODEMS, THERE IS
NO p p p o e TO DEAL WITH.  yOU ARE EITHER ASSIGNED AN ip ADDRESS
WHEN YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE SERVICE OR you get a different IP
address each time you connect to the network.

	Our SBC service gives us a different IP address each time
we reconnect unless you want to pay about twice as much each
month and then we could get a static IP address and even register
a domain name.

	I don't know if there is software that runs on DOS that
will handle the P P P O E negotiation.  There certainly are ways
in Linux to get on the network.

	I only use DOS to access Linux any more.  I agree that
DOS still has its uses such as what we are talking about, but all
the neat stuff is happening under UNIX.

	I had a question on this list about getting telnet and
ftp working under DOS so I can telnet to other Linux systems in
the same room, but telnet is basically insecure because it is not
encrypted in any way.  If you, for example, are on a cable TV
modem, the neighbors around you are on the same network segment
as you and can intercept your communications if they are so
inclined.  Encrypted communications look like garbage to anybody
else.  You are more likely to find the latest versions of ssh and
browsers capable of SSL which stands for Secure Socket Layer
under Linux.  I have no idea at all what is available for DOS
along those lines, but nobody is doing any real development in
DOS any more.