Interesting Behavior from Grub, How to Make it Beep

Peter Westlake peter.westlake at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 15:26:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:58:23 -0600, "Martin McCormck"
<martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> said:

> 	Mainly, I am curious about the second savedefault line
> and what it actually does.

I hope I'm answering the right question here!

The "savedefault" remembers when its own entry in the boot menu is
chosen when the system is booted. So, if you chose item 1 (the second,
since they start at zero), grub will remember "1". Then you can use this
information in your menu.lst file by including the command "default
saved". Then next time you boot, the selected menu entry is the one grub
remembers from last time. If you just hit "Enter" or no key at all, this
entry is used without you having to choose it. The most common usage is
to put "savedefault" on all entries so that the system always comes up
the same way as it did before unless you tell it not to. But you might
have an experimental or unreliable kernel that you only want to boot if
you choose it explicitly, and then you would leave the "savedefault"
off.

Peter.