speaking lynix install?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Oct 23 04:27:59 UTC 2006

Even though orca will speak the desktop and other parts of ubuntu, running
the install program and having orca talk and tell you the contents of the
screens simply does not happen.  Someone put material up on the web
claiming orca had to be restarted after running install and I did that but
alt-tab did not bring me into a talking install program window.  The
biggest problem ubuntu now has is that noone on its development staff or
anyone closely linked to its development staff (developers and user
install ubuntu on their computer and get it talking) is totally blind
congenitally or otherwise.  That means a whole lot of basic testing that
went on with speakup hasn't happened with ubuntu nor is it ever likely to
happen either.  Anyone familiar with the seakline screen reader for
windows and its eventual end in development probably would do well to
understand that unless proven otherwise in the future ubuntu is the linux
equivalent of seakline and will never surpass seakline in its further
accessibility development.