accessing my files

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Sep 7 17:36:27 UTC 2006

> How do I access my windows files in linux, and is there a way
> to access the files on the linux machine from windows?

There are a variety of ways to share files between the two.

You can share a directory on the Linux machine using Samba, and
it will appear on your local network as any other Windows-share
would.

You can start an HTTP server on your Linux box, and access it
from your Windows machine as you would any other website.  It's a
little more taxing to configure it to allow you to write files
back to the Linux box (for more info, you'll want to learn about
"WebDAV"), but if you only need to read files from your Linux
box, this might be an easy way to go.

You could also set up an FTP server on your Linux box...this
would allow you to more easily write back to the Linux box in
addition to reading from it.

I don't know if Samba installation/configuration has gotten any
easier since the last time I tried it.  It's likely exactly what
you want, and it plays best (most seamlessly) with Windows, but
I've found it a little more complex to install/configure than
just starting Apache and pointing it at the files you want to
share; or setting up a simple FTP server to which I can dump files.

Hope this helps,

-tim