easyubuntu and console

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 12 15:14:52 UTC 2006

At 01:03 PM 9/11/06 +0200, you wrote:
>a friend of mine is trying Ubuntu on his laptop; but he needs easyubuntu for
>the multimedia apps such as mplayer, realplayer, etc;

Hi,

I don't use ubuntu so I can't comment on it specifically but I can
say that most multimedia apps require X.  Mplayer can run in console
mode but I don't think Real or Helix can.  You can get TRPlayer but I
don't think it has been updated in many years.  So, even though I'm
guessing here, I would say that X is required.  However, there are
other console mode players such as mpg321, Mplayer as mentioned,
various CD players and others that I'm not remembering.

Since Ubuntu is similar to Debian, watch out when installing
graphical apps with console support since it will try to install all
the X libraries too.  Probably the best thing for Mplayer is to build
from source.  That way you only get the codecs and components that
you want.  I don't think Mplayer is in Debian Sarge so it might be
considered non-free.