A Question About Screen and VI

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Aug 16 02:30:56 UTC 2007

	When I am in vi, there is a very annoying behavior that
occurs when I use the lower-case l to move the cursor to the
right such as when stepping over part of a line in order to
edit it. As best as I can describe it, here is what happens:

	As one hits l to step over the first 4 characters, my
VT100 emulation which is Kermit, echoes the first character in
the line which is expected. On the second step, however, it
repeats the first character and then echoes the second
character. On the third step, it echoes the first, the second
and then finally the third. On the 4TH step, it hits you with
the first 3 plus the 4TH. This is extremely annoying in some
cases. After the 4TH character, it works perfectly until the end
of that line.

	One thing I noticed is that with older versions of
screen, it used to only be the first 3 line positions that
caused this behavior.

	When looking at .screenrc, I don't see anything obvious
that deals with the first 4 line positions and don't understand
what advantage there would be in this sort of repetitious
behavior.

	If nobody else notices it, it may be something to do
with MSkermit which generally works very well, but does
occasionally throw one a curve when repainting the screen.

	In the over all scheme of things, this is a nuisance
rather than a show-stopper, but I would sure like to fix it if
possible.

	Thanks for any good suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer