ubuntu linux

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Mon Aug 20 22:33:04 UTC 2007

Karen Lewellen wrote:

> quick additional question.  Is there anywhere a review of those two screen
> readers?  Something that discusses their pros and cons?

Comparing Speakup with Orca is like comparing apples to oranges.  speakup
is
for the text console whereas Orca is for the Gnome desktop.  And while it
is true that you can access the console through gnome-terminal, the little
I've seen of Orca suggests to me that this is equivalent to using JFW in a
DOS box...it can work quite nicely, but it's not ideal.

ORCA, LSR and Gnopernicus are all screen readers for Gnome, and there are
other console-based screen readers.  Comparitive reviews of these would
probably be more helpful.

Geoff.