Linux with Software Synth on Dell Enspiron2600 Laptop

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Aug 21 01:49:39 UTC 2007

"Thane M. Andersen" writes:
> Hello Kevin and others,
> I recently came across a How-To document on how to install Fedora Core 7
> via
> telnet.  It looks straight forward enough, but I cannot say for sure how
> easy it is to do this.

>Is there a way to install Debian via telnet?

	I haven't read that particular document, but it is
certainly possible. There is still the problem for us as to how
to get the network card on the system to be installed properly
configured. The installation disk would need to be some sort of
live CD like grml and others which had a Linux core on it which
had enough of the OS to support telnet or even ssh. I once
booted oralux, got it talking and had it go out and get an IP
address from our ugate home router which is similar to a linksys
and other devices in that it has a built-in DHCP server. I
didn't install from that CD, but instead got a network
connection between that system and another working Linux box to
facilitate copying all the Windows files over from the new
system to the existing Linux system for backup purposes. I had
enough room on the Windows system to make a tar ball of the
whole Windows partition and then used scp to move it across.

	I think the oralux disk did have both telnet and ssh. It
definitely had ssh. If you were going to use that method for an
install, you would almost have to be installing from the same
live CD. After getting past that network configuration issue,
telnet should work.  Always something, isn't it?

Martin McCormick