GRML and Linux with Software Synth on Dell Enspiron2600 Laptop

Thane M. Andersen tcideas at xmission.com
Tue Aug 21 18:39:26 UTC 2007

Hello Martin,
I think you are a lot closer than you might realize. May I suggest taking a
closer look at the Telnet Installation How To located at
http://speakupmodified.org/telnet_installation.html
  The way I understand the process, it requires that the target machine be
booted from the installation media and then at the boot prompt, issue the
following command to configure the network interface:
text telnet ip=[ip.address] netmask=[netmask] gateway=[gateway.address]
ksdevice=[ethernet.device]
  Example:
  text telnet ip=192.168.33.123 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.33.254
ksdevice=/eth0

Of course, this assumes that you are installing speakup modified Fedora.

Then using telnet from a working machine connect to the target machine and
control the installation with speach that way.   I'm expecting to have to
configure software speech on the target machine via telnet or ssh from my
working Windows machine after the installation is complete.  This sounds
like a bit more work than installing with a hardware synthesizer, but I
don't have one to compare to.  All my previous installs have been with
sighted assistance.  I think this Telnet how To will help us out in a big
way.  My target machine is a 500MHz machine with 384MB RAM which I don't
think I will even try to install a graphical interface on, but I think a
console based system will do just fine.

Hope this helps,
Thane