resetting audio in gnome

Stephen Clower steve at steve-audio.net
Wed Aug 22 03:16:53 UTC 2007

Hi list,

This morning I upgraded my copy of Ubuntu Feisty to the latest testing
build of gutsy to fix some issues I was having with my laptop's wireless
card. However, I now have no sound via the ESD mixer. I have searched
high and low on the Ubuntu forums and Linux-Questions for how to reset
the gnome audio settings via the console, but I've come up empty. I'd
appreciate any suggestions; I'm stumped. ALSA seems to still work since
mplayer plays audio, and I can SSH from another machine to control the
near-silent laptop.

- All my best,
- Steve

P.S. Though my audio is hosed, my wireless card works again.