installing things

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Aug 23 04:27:36 UTC 2007

It could if it were accessible; unfortunately it isn't.  To do a good
first update and upgrade of packages on ubuntu the file
/etc/apt/sources.list needs editing.  The lines with # http at their
beginnings all need changing to http at their beginnings.  Once that's
done, the command aptitude update will get you the latest software lists
on your hard drive (an essential prerequisite to a distribution upgrade),
then the command aptitude dist-upgrade -y will do the upgrade for you so
your hard drive has the current correct set of files for your
installation.  It's important to watch the ubuntu-security list since this
will let you know when hackers find ways to crack software on your machine
and will let you know when it really is time to do aptitude update
followed by aptitude dist-upgrade -y so you get any fixed packages maybe
in time.  After a distribution upgrade gets done a halt -p command shuts
the system down completely and you need to restart the system to use all
of the new stuff you downloaded and have none of the bad stuff hanging
around in memory.