Two out of three ain't bad

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 30 15:12:54 UTC 2007

Yes, it speaks via speakup and espeak.

Last night I added wireless tools and set it so that you don't have to login
on tty0. I haven't posted a new iso with these changes yet. But when I do,
you should be able to boot with this cd, wait for it to start talking, and
then start typing in linux commands.

I actually made my first real use of the CD last night. I was listening to
an episode of Nova on my laptop and all of a sudden, sound went out. I had
no speech, no audio of any type. Even catting a sound file to /dev/audio
gave me nothing. I rebooted, still nothing. But I rebooted with the live CD
I made (blindI or whatever I settle on for a name) and it did speak. So via
this live CD, I was able to determine that there is nothing wrong with the
laptop itself.

With the laptop, that means that the live CD has booted 3 out of 4 computers
I've tried it on. I think it probably booted the 4th but without speech. I
don't know for sure.