Creating BRLTTY as a .deb package

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:23:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

When downloading BRLTTY I noticed there was a source file (Which I used
to install) as well as a rpm file (redhat package manager I guess) I
wasn't sure what the rpm src one was for, but that's probably because I
don't use redhat.

Anyway would it be ok if I created a .deb package of BRLTTY for debian?
Would there be any licensing issues?

I found a howto on creating .deb packages and I am unsure on the following
-BRLTTY dependencies
-How to find out how much space BRLTTY needs to install
-As the package manager do I put my name? Or do one of the BRLTTY
developers have to do this?
-The file hierarchy of BRLTTY? So I can have a script that removes it
completely and installs it completely. Is this information in the manual
of BRLTTY?
-Will my settings be used for the .deb? Or can I just make the .deb
install everything and then its up to the user to run
sudo brltty -b braille_display -d /dev/whatever -t
what_ever_braille_code_they_use

I know that's a lot of questions.
But if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Would a .deb package make it easier for people on debian to install?
Also I noticed that brltty 3.7.2 or maybe its 3.72 is in the debian
repo. It hasn't been updated for a while.
If I was successful in creating my deb package could that get into the
debian repo? Or would I have to become a debian developer first?

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/