orca

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 15 10:28:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> Cannot open display means that you hav'nt started X windows.

Ok I think I got that part working.
When typing startx after a little while gnome loads and I see the desktop.
When switching back to the terminal I ran startx in I see:

** (gnome-panel:1260): WARNING **: Failed to establish a connection with
GDM: No such file or directory

** (nm-applet:1281): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection
":1.54" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

** (nm-applet:1281): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection
":1.54" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

** (nm-applet:1281): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection
":1.54" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

xinit:  unexpected signal 2.
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/daniel/.Xauthority

The signal 2 was from when I quit it.

Is this bad? If gnome loads should it all be fine?
If still running startx loads gnome but orca won't start when I go to run
app and type orca is the problem related to orca?

  >> From
your user account, run startx
> and then wait quite a while.  Then press alt-f2 and type orca -t there.
> Speakup will not work when X is running.

When typing orca -t should Orca come up talking?

Also what is the -t for?

I here no speech when going into gnome and running orca.
Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone that has been helping me with this. I really appreciate
it.
Oh and BTW I am now not on etch. I updated to Lenny if that matters.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton at iinet.net.au