playing short tune via beep

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:53:07 UTC 2007

Thanks. That's pretty close to what I was hoping for.

I'm setting up a bunch of servers that  I'll be monitoring via nagios and
snmp. The nagios server is in my office so i want it to beep distinctively
depending on what is wrong.  I guess i'll have to experiment with beep until
I get what I want. I started doing that but it's kind of a pain. So examples
like yours help.

I've also been toying with the idea of connecting a modem to the nagios
server and having it call my cell if something is really, really wrong. I
could easily get it to dial the phone but I have no idea how to send some
kind of audio file. i would imagine that's possible since telemarketers do
it all the time.