Getting started

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 26 23:33:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Mike Reiser wrote:

> From what I've read and seen, I would recommend ubuntu.  It is by far the
> easiest distro to install.  The screen reader you'd use with it is called

Sure. But if someone sets up debian for him with gnome isn't it almost
just
as easy?
I have been talking to him on irc and it seems he wants to use a console
as well.
So perhaps debian withgnome if he needs it?

> orca and it's built into the distrobution.  Currently there  isn't anyway t

Well ok. It is built into gnome. But yes ubuntu comes with orca already
installed. Unlike the debian gnome. Which took me a bit of work to get
working.

But he would probably want to update to the latest version from svn for
firefox wouldn't he?
And they make it sound really scarey. But I have built lots of things from
source so what is scary about it? Can't you always restore an old version
from the repo if it fails to speak for some reason?

> lay two sounds at the same time without some hacking but this should get

Oh. Is this a gnome or ubuntu issue? Your saying ubuntu uses os?
And in a console can you run mplayer and have espeak talking for example?
I can on my debian box. Haven't tested in gnome but will report back when
I do.
Oh when I say "console" I mean a full screen one not  a terminal.

> better in the next few months.  BRLtTY does suport the pacmate as far as I
> know.

I am pretty sure it does. And you can also have brltty working in gnome.
But that requires orca. And brltty works by itself in a console. But
having another screenreader around in the console like speakup won't hurt
it.

  > mike >

But yes perhaps ubuntu is a good choice for him. I'll talk to him later
today since I know him and will get him to try a few livecds.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton at iinet.net.au