buying braille display

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 21 16:08:56 UTC 2007

Hi John,

Perhaps the first thing to know about braille displays is that they come in
different lengths (number of characters on the braille line). Back in the
days of DOS an 80-character display made sense since the screens in those
days were 80 characters wide. Since screens are no longer limited to 80
characters there seems less of a reason to have such a huge display. (Note
that I've never had an 80-character display so am not talking from
experience in this decision.) For me, 40 characters is better. I don't want
to go with less than 40 because I spend a lot of time reading braille books
from NLS and they're formatted pretty close to 40 characters. Though shorter
displays are cheaper they might be awkward reading a 40-character braille
line and the programming might or might not be able to get around this
satisfactorily; again I've used only 40-character displays.

As you mentioned, there are notetakers and there are just plain displays.
The only notetaker I have experience with is the PAC Mate. I like this
because I can detach the braille portion and use it with my desktop; both
brltty and Windows screenreaders deal very well with this. The PAC Mate as a
notetaker is pretty good too; the braille display attaches securely to it
and makes a single physical unit that is easy to carry and use when I'm away
from my desk.

I've never been to CSUN, but it's coming up in March and I can't imagine
they would have a shortage of hardware to examine.

HTH,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>