Ubuntu 6.10 - Making emacspeak use orca as it's speech engine.

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 17 16:25:18 UTC 2007

Based upon my limited understanding of how the emacspeak speech
interface works, you'd need to write a module in Python that implements
the emacspeak TTS server protocol:
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/info/html/TTS-Servers.html.

This module would listen for emacspeak TTS commands on one side (the
default port for an emacspeak remote server seems to be 2222) and talk
to the orca.speech module on the other side.  Look at
src/orca/httpserver.py for an example of how we made Orca act as a very
simple speech server that operates on HTTP requests.

You'd then need to tell emacspeak to use the remote server.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but it might be an interesting
experiment to try.

Will