fedora vs. Debian?

Aldo blinuxman at tuxfamily.org
Fri Jan 19 08:22:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:52:43PM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> In terms of support, flexibility, is there really a difference?
IMHO it's first of all a question of "taste": I personally like the
apt-alike distributions, I also prefer the full flexibility of an O S
who authorizes you to choose between editing with a tool or by hand,
etc.
But I'm not sure Debian had the best support; I see on this ml lots of
USA people using RH/Fedora, here in Europe in many many LUGs and on
mlists I met lots of people using Debian (now more and more Ubuntu).

> I understand both distributions are strong on their integrated packages.
> Both support hardware speech, what I will be using.

That's one of the major problems when choosing Debian: if you'd like to
be able to install/run it on very recent hardware, you have to choose
the Testing one, if you are using older hardware / or you want 100%
stability, the you will prefer the Stable one.

> But is there anything else about one package over the other that should be
> considered when weighing them?
IMHO, people who is obsessed by recent packages will prefer distro's who
provide -in some cases- much more recent versions of packages than you
should meet in a (Sarge-based)/Stable Debian.

Ald0