fedora vs. Debian?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jan 19 12:51:44 UTC 2007

Hi again, there's one more thing I forgot to mention.  I don't know
about Fedora but Debian discourages non-free, non-GPL software.  This
is generally not a problem but you might find certain packages aren't
supported or even available through Debian because they are not
considered free.  RealPlayer comes to mind but you have Helix
instead.  The F-Prot virus scanner is another example.  There is an
installer only but the actual software isn't included.  Qmail is
another example.  You can get the source and it will build a package
for you but you can't get a supported binary package.  A 3rd party
offers a binary package but it's not part of Debian.