No wireless interfaces displaied

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 11 14:11:11 UTC 2007

I'm thinking that "not turned on" means the drivers were not loaded.

A driver is a program the operating  system uses to control a piece of
hardware like a wireless  ethernet card. If you don't load the driver, the
operating system doesn't know  the the device even exists. With wireless
cards, they identify themselves via a string of text which you can see if
you run the 'discover' command. That string is used by the operating system
to identify the card and then the proper driver is supposed to be loaded
automatically. So something went wrong there when you installed etch.

If this is a fairly new laptop, it is possible that the driver  wasn't
available at the time when the installation CD you used was crated.  What
you need to do is find out which driver (if any) is used with your ethernet
card and load the driver. Run either the lspci command or the discover
command and find out exactly which wireless ethernet card you have. Post
that info to this list and then we can figure out which driver will work
with your card.

I installed finally my debian etch system and managed to install the
wireless-tools package. I ran the iwconfig command and the system showd that
now wireless interfaces were supported or found. I did it all in the
console. Then I handed it over to my instructor, he told that the network
cards were turned off, but after turning them on, there was no change.
Should I have ran an iwlist command first and if there's a way to solve this
problem, please answer.
With regards
Jürgen Dengo