No wireless interfaces displaied

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 11 20:49:35 UTC 2007

There are different commands for getting the wireless ethernet card working
and the wired one. Lets start with wireless since we're further along there.
After I explain how to get the wireless card working, you will probably be
able to get the wired card working by yourself.

So what I did was google for 'linux driver 2915ABG '. That showed me that
the driver for your card is called ipw2200.  You can tell if the driver for
that card is loaded  with the lsmod command.  Type 'lsmod' . This will give
a list of aall  the drivers currently loaded.  The first column is the
driver name. It may be easier for you to find the driver if you type 'lsmod
| grep ipw2200'.

The grep command is a string search program. So 'lsmod | grep ipw2200' says
run lsmod, "pipe" the output to the grep command, and search for the string
ipw220.

If you can't find the driver with lsmod, That means it is not loaded. In
that case, you would type 'modprobe -v ipw2200'.