talking linux wanted

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 06:46:08 UTC 2007

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:48:40AM EST, Jim Stevenson wrote:
> > Do any of you know where I can buy a linux desktop and or laptop
> > with speakup and emacs-speak installed.
>
> I doubt that you will find a system pre-installed with the requirements
> you are loking for. You will have to obtain the hardware you want to
> use, and install everything yourself.

I dunno. Both speakup and emacspeak are in the Ubuntu repositories. I
think I'd be tempted to give System76 (http://system76.com/), who
provide preinstalled Ubuntu systems, a ring and see if they couldn't
install those programs for me before or upon delivery. If not, it's a
one line command to install both on a new Ubuntu system:

sudo apt-get install speakup emacspeak

> > I also need as many audio tools as possible.
>
> I am affraid you will have to stick to Windows if you need useful audio
> tools that are accessible. While there are many tools for working with
> audio under Linux, practically none of them are accessible.

Doesn't this depend on precisely what Jim's trying to do? For example,
if the graphical tools prove inaccessible, Linux has command-line
conversion tools for different audio formats, and command-line tools for
playing and burning CDs and transferring audio to bluetooth devices. Or
are the command-line tools actually much less accessible than I'm
imagining? Of course, Jim may be talking about composing music or
something.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis