accessing my linux box via telnet

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Thu May 3 14:53:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Tim Chase wrote:

 > There are a couple factors that play into an answer, so to answer the
 > question one would need to know:
 >
 > 1) do you have to use telnet, or can you use ssh?  Using SSH is much
 > preferred because it encrypts your password over the network unlike telnet
 > which sends it in plain-text over the wire.  MUCH preferred.  Telnet might be
 > fine for a fixed server of data such as a weather server, IRC, or a MUD where
 > there's no password to be sent.  So unless there's some overly compelling
 > reason to use telnet (such as perhaps ssh/putty not being accessible to a
 > screen reader, or severe lock-down of the guest machine preventing you from
 > installing putty or the cygwin ssh utilities) I strongly recommend SSH
 > instead.
even if you can't use ssh/putty, don't use telnet for login-sessions at
all.
better not to access the box in question over telnet if ssh is not
available then severaly compromising security by using telnet.
it's not only the encryption of the ssh/password exchagne, but the hole
connection in fact.

 > 2) is your PC behind a hardware router/firewall?  If so, you likely have a
 > private IP address of the form 192.168.x.y and a public/external IP address.
 > You can find your internal IP address with the "ifconfig" command.  You can
 > find your external IP address by browsing to www.whatsmyip.org.  If the two
 > numbers aren't the same, there are more hoops to jump through.
 true but if you tlak about the client it will most likely not be a
problem.\if it is the serverside, you need to do a portforwarding on the
router in which case you need some tweaking there.

 > 3) is your guest machine also on your same home network, or are you accessing
 > it from outside your LAN?
 if on the same network and you are the only nerd on it :) telnet is fine
thatis IF AND ONLY IF the network is cabled and NOT wireless in which case
the same objections on telnet apply as using it over the big and evil
internet :)

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)