How early to start BRLTTY?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed May 9 00:29:54 UTC 2007

[quoted lines by Tobias Vinteus on 2007/05/08 at 23:21 +0200]

>But only if you put the brltty line before the rc.sysinit line. Correct me
>if I'm wrong, but rc.sysinit is the one responsible for running th efile
>system checks - at least in Fedora.

Lee and I were briefly discussing starting brltty from within rc.sysinit. Doing
it that way can get it started even earlier, although that approach also has
disadvantages. For one thing, you'll lose your invocation of brltty if a yum
update ever replaces the script. For another, if you mess it up then your
system may not boot.

>I'm running a serial display, so i don't need any blootooth or USB
>stuff to get it to work. Yet ther's something preventing it from starting
>from inittab and before rc.sysinit.

Perhaps you could put a sleep in between the brltty and rc.sysinit lines and
then ask a sighted person to check the screen for error messages. If you ever
do find out what the problem is, please do let us know.