Are there any software for us blind to access bios settings?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Wed May 9 10:45:57 UTC 2007

Most standard x86 boxes don't have a serial-port-accessible BIOS.
 My understanding is that Sun has boxes that will use a serial
console for interacting with the BIOS.  It's generally considered
a server-class feature.

A couple items I found:

-Compaq seems to offer (or have offered in the past) an x86
server with serial BIOS.  The only details I could find were in
this PDF:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/smartstart/bios-serialconsole.pdf

-Certain Tyan motherboards (antiquated?) seem to support a BIOS
option that, once configured the first time, allows for serial
access to the BIOS.  This link has some suggested motherboards
that have serial support in the BIOS

http://linux-1u.net/SerialConsole/

-it also sounds like the OpenBIOS project has support for serial
consoles, but I haven't toyed with that.

Just a few ideas,

-tim