very unusal pdf problem?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon May 14 21:48:37 UTC 2007

> What I think might be the problem though is that the password has a * in
> it.

My guess is that your shell (bash?) is trying to expand the
asterisk as a wildcard.  Try wrapping the password in quotes:

   -opw "pass*word"

I have similar problems with the venerable "find" command where
I'm looking for a wild-card.  I have to wrap the parameter in
quotes, such as

   find ~ -name '*mp3'

In your case, you can use either single-quotes or double-quotes.
  However, if you ever have a password containing a dollar-sign
in it, you'll want the single-quote version.  Additionally,
beware if the password ever contains a backslash, as that may
need to be escaped.

Just as a side-note of caution, you may want to investigate if
your extracting-tool supports prompting for passwords instead of
entering them on the command-line.  If you put the password on
the command-line, it shows up in places that might be visible to
other users on your system (namely, in the "ps" listing and in
your bash history).  If you're the only user on the system, it's
not criminal, but it's good practice not to leave passwords
littering your system.

just my $0.02

-tim