Getting started with Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon May 28 06:42:31 UTC 2007

Otis Blue/MidWest-Merchandise writes:
> Hi,
>
> I purchased a Linux business server software off of eBay a couple of days
> ago and I wanted to learn more about it before I get into it.  I want to run

Huh? What's that? And why would you find it helpful to pay money when
you can get Linux for free, preconfigured with Speakup?

No offense, but I fear you have wasted your money, hopefully not very
much.

You can look at my Installation HOWTO to get started studying what you
need to know to use Linux with Speakup, and particularly to learn some
ways to install it. Yes, it's dated, but still quite relevent in many
details:

http://SpeakupModified.Org/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

If you decide to go with Fedora, wait a few days. Fedora 7 is due out
later this week.

Some other excellent options--which provide Speakup ready to
use--include Ubuntu and Debian. There are others as well.

Now if you're going to insist on trying to use that thing you bought on
Ebay--well, I don't know.

Janina