trying to get started

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 8 14:37:05 UTC 2007

If you really have to use a graphical user interface, then you will have to
start with ubuntu and orca. ubuntu is a "flavor" of linux. With this
particular flavor, you download a CD image and write it to a CD. Then you
can boot your computer from the CD.

While you're booting your computer from the CD, you press a particular key
sequence and then it knows to start orca when it's done booting.  Orca is a
screen reader like jaws or window-eyes.

However, orca isn't quite as stable as jaws or window-eyes just yet. Don't
get me wrong, those guys working on it are geniuses, IMO. But even they
admit there's a lot of work to be done yet. It's quite usable though. Just
don't go into it expecting it to be as good as jaws.

You can ask the google for infor about 'ubuntu orca'  and find plenty on how
to get started. But you can also subscribe to the orca list at
orca-list at gnome.org.