software speech and speakup

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:57:41 UTC 2007

On 14/11/2007 2:08 AM, John Heim wrote:

> I don't know anything about festival. I have never used  it. An
> alternate package named espeak is way more popular. All I know is that
> espeak is way, way more responsive than flite. But I can't recommend
> espeak over festival because I've never used festival.

Ok Espeak it is then.
If I can get help on it then great!

> You do have to get your kernel problem fixed first though.

Yes.

Ok I installed the kernel you said.
And uname -r says
it is the speakup one 2.6.18-4.

I read somewhere you need to say what synths to add in the kernel?
How do I enable software speech with this kernel?
Like how do I tell speakup to use speech-dispatcher?

Now to my speech-dispatcher questions:
1. Two of the packages listed on the link you told me to go to won't
install.
Could you please give me a direct link to everything I need to get all
files required?
I am on debian.
2. Once I install all files do I just follow:
http://www.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html
3. The volume is quite soft from my headphones. PCM is on 100% and so is
the master volume control.
Is there anything else I can do to turn it up a bit more?

Thanks for any help.