Speakup with espeak

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 19 16:10:48 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Dalton" <daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com>

> -Change defaultmodule to espeak_generic
> -also changed a default language thing from flite to espeak_generic.
> What else do I need to do?
> I reboot and hear no speech.
> Could someone maybe send me their speechd-up.conf file to me off list

It's probably not speechd-up.   To find out if the problem is with
speech-dispatcher or with speechd-up, you can use the spd-say command.

spd-say "hello world"

Chances are that this will say nothing or perhaps even generate an error
message. If you hear nothing, then your problem is with speech-dispatcher. I
think you are probably the victim of a mistake in the speech-dispatcher
config files for espeak. In
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf,  find a lline like this:

"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p
$PITCH -

And change it to say this:
 "echo \"$DATA\" | espeak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a
$VOLUME -p $PITCH
-

The difference between the two lines is that the first says speak and the
second says espeak. In other words, one pipes the output from aplay to speak
(which is wrong) and the other pipes it to espeak (which is right). Here is
a link to a espeak-generic.conf file that works for me:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/espeak-generic.conf

Another thing that may be wrong is that you may not have installed
alsaplayer. To do that type:

apt-get alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-utils