want to learn Linux

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 20 15:07:31 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----- >> I am really getting tired of Windows but
know nothing about setting up Linux.

> Well keep win around until you learn linux. You will still need it!
>

>> And at the time do not have a lot of money to spend on external
>> synthesizer.
>>

> Maybe software speech with speakup? (Using the espeak synth I guess)
>
> Also this might help. I think you should buy a cheap machine perhaps off
> ebay to test linux out on.
> That way you can get help during installation and when problems occur you
> have your win box around. And that way you can get help when things don't
> work.
> (You will have problems!) Trust me on that one.

All the points you made above are very good.
1. At the moment, gnome & orca aren't quite at the level of Windows & jaws.
Not that orca isn't great. It's amazing what the developers have done
already. But if you go in expecting to get for free what Freedom Scientific
charges $1000 for, you are going to be disappointed.

2. I totally agree with your suggestion of finding a cheap machine.  Old
computers capable of running linux in character mode are a glut. In most
cities, you have to pay to dispose of an old computer and you'd actually be
doing someone a favor by taking it off their hands.

3. Be prepared for a learning curve. If you've been using Windows all of
your life, you're going to have a lot to learn *and* a lot to get used to in
linux. I would hesitate to suggest that someone learn linux just for the fun
of it. For some people it would be fun. Most not. However, I really strongly
believe that if you're blind and if you make your living as a computer nerd,
*the* best thing you can do for your career is learn linux.