lynx

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue Nov 20 18:52:50 UTC 2007

> second argument turns this feature on from the command line:
>
> lynx -show_cursor -number_fields

I use these features frequently enough that it's helpful to have
them in Lynx config file:

   SHOW_CURSOR: TRUE
   DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE: LINKS_AND_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED

(I like to have both numbered, but if you just want one or the
other, you can select your preferred variant).

I also like to use vi-keys, which can choke on text-entry fields,
so I have the following two lines:

   VI_KEYS_ALWAYS_ON: TRUE
   TEXTFIELDS_NEED_ACTIVATION: TRUE

That way, I can skim over all fields with my h/j/k/l keys, and
then when I get to the field I want, I use <enter> to activate
the field.  Otherwise, I constantly end up with a string of "j"
or "k" characters in my text-entry fields.

I tend to fly in advanced mode (rather than novice mode) using

  DEFAULT_USER_MODE: ADVANCED

and it's helpful to know that if you're editing a multi-line
textbox, you can spawn an external editor.  On my Debian
installation, that's /usr/bin/sensible-editor which happens to be
pointed at vim, but you can customize that.

The lines from my lynxrc are in this thread where they were
discussed previously:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/blinux-list/2005-May/msg00046.html

Because the Lynx config-parser is a bit borked, and reads the
/etc/lynx.cfg differently from the ~/.lynxrc, I tend to create a
.lynx.cfg file with the settings I want and then alias "lynx" to
"lynx -cfg=~/.lynx.cfg"  so it pulls in the settings a .lynxrc
doesn't respect.

Hope this helps,

-tim