fetchmail

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 08:51:59 UTC 2007

Hi Geoff,

On 25/11/2007 7:04 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Daniel Dalton wrote:
>
>> Do I just need exim for fetchmail?
>
> You will need some form of mail transport agent, yes.  Exim should do
> just fine.  It's what I use.
>
>> When I run
>> dpkg-reconfigure exim
>> I get an error about unknown file type.
>
> If you want help with error messages, you will need to be specific about
> what the message is otherwise no-one will be able to help you.  Also,
> googling error messages is often a useful thing to do.

Ok I get:
"db_upgrade: /var/spool/exim/db/etry.lockfile: unrecognized file type"
And I also get
"db_upgrade: DB->upgrade: /var/spool/exim/db/retry.lockfile: invalid
argument."

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
I ran it as root.

>> And if I type "fetchmail"
>> I get:
>> /home/daniel/fetchmailrc must have no more than -rwx---x---(0710)
>> permissions.
>
> This error message means that fetchmail considers your personal Email
> settings to be in a file which is not secure enough.
>
>> Any ideas on what I should do?
>
> Read the chmod man page for more info about file permissions.  Basically
> it is saying that only you as the owner should be able to read the
> file.  I could just simply give you the command but it's probably more
> useful to you to learn how to do it yourself.  You probably want it to
> be readable and writeable by the owner (i.e. you) and nothing else.

Ok I will. Could you please just tell me the command this time? I was
hoping to get email set up on my box then I was going to read lots and
lots on lynx, alpine emacs BRLTTY, speakup  etc.

>> My .fetchmail is like the one I will paste below:
>> poll pop.gmail.com
>> proto pop3
>> username daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
>> password mypassword
>
> Didn't you say you need SSL for this?

I do yes. Do you know what I should add to tell it I am using ssl?

> Also, you might want to include a daemon line in your .fetchmailrc file
> to make fetchmail keep on checking your mail.  For example:
>
> set daemon 180
>
> would have it check mail every 3 minutes.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks.

> This daemon line shouldn't be in a poll definition.

What do you mean? Just put that line at the top of the file?

And will I have to do something like this to sendmail so I can send mail?

Thanks for all the help.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/