fetchmail

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Nov 27 07:17:43 UTC 2007

Sendmail and exim are both mail transport agents (mtas), so you use either
sendmail, the oldest mta or exim, which is easyer to set up.
There is another mta which is popular called postfix.
As suggested before, use exim.  there is a link to the exim binary  called
sendmail, so you can just leave your alpine config to refer to sendmail
and exim will be used.
You are correct in that  you can have fetchmail poll different pop servers
for different users from the same configuration file, but I really suggest
that you first get one account working properly before starting to mess
with extra ones.
You will never use sendmail and exim both on the same machine, they do the
same job.
HTH, Willem