Beginner, soliciting input for where to begin.

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 15 15:54:09 UTC 2007

Right. And ubuntu has become really popular lately.  I doubt very many
people are running grml full time. But lots of people are running ubuntu.
That might be worth considering for a new user.

On the other hand, I have a fairly new Dell 745 at work and ubuntu won't
speak at all on it. It doesn't recognize the sound card or something.    But
I don't really know what's wrong because it doesn't speak.  I was  trying
ubuntu-7.04. A more recent version might work better.  Like i said in my
other message, i'm not bashing either ubuntu or orca.  I just wouldn't
expect them to be as smooth as Windows/jaws.  You're dealing with cutting
edge stuff on both ends.

I am building a PC from scratch (just to do it) and intend to use it to
switch away from Windows/jaws to linux/orca. I don't know if I'll go with
ubuntu or plain old debian.  Ubuntu was going to drop support for speakup
(they may already have) and that would eliminate them from consideration for
me.