Ubuntu live CD

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:15:35 UTC 2007

On 16/10/2007 1:37 PM, Rick wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me which version of Ubuntu orca will work from
> the live CD?

The latest? I think 6 doesn't have orca.
I know the vm image (704 desktop) has orca.

To get it running on the live cd I think you need to hit f5 and arrow
down 3 times and hit enter.
When the disk starts to spin up.
But not sure.
Someone told me that on an irc channel.

> I tried Ubuntu 7.04 and I configured orca and it said "switching to
> focus tracking." or something like that.
> I forget exactly.

Personally I think orca has a long way to go before it is accessible. I
tried out the vm and didn't like the support very much.
Maybe that's because I was sharing 512 mb of ram with xp and ubuntu but
it would read the directory browser fine.
But I couldn't seem to use open office and fire fox easily.

So I will try out fedora (console) and see if that is any better.
Try it out and see how you like it. I am sure it is getting better but
it will just take time.

> Then I tried ubuntu 6.10, I got it to boot, I then hit alt plus F2 and
> typed in orca after waiting a few seconds but no speech.
> I looked at beta 7.10 but it says you need 320 megabites of ram to
> install from the CD and my machine only has 256.
> I want to try a live CD first to decide if Linux is for me.
> If I like what I see I got 122 gigabites of free space on this hard
> drive I want to use for Linux.

Hmm do you really press alt f2 for the livecd? I know you do for the vm
one. But someone on irc said f5 when booting.
Then arrow down 3 times then enter.
Maybe version 6 doesn't come with orca?

>> From what I read ubuntu sounds like it would be the easiest distro to
>> get up
> and running for a beginner.
> If there is something easier to work with and has a live CD I can check
> out I'd be interested in hearing about it,  but as it stands I'd really
> like to try ubuntu.

I think it is but not sure about accessibility.
(I didn't like it) But that doesn't mean it isn't accessible.
I would be interested to see what you think.
Maybe I didn't read the manual enough.
Anyway let me know how you go.

Good luck!

-- Daniel Dalton