Blinux-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 11 Ubuntu Reinstall

Sergei V. Fleytin fleytin at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 27 09:20:29 UTC 2007

Hi!

R> I tried what you suggested. It won't let me log in with the new
R> name. When I try any administrative task and type in my pass word
R> orca seems to lock up. I have to restart the computer from memory
R> when that happens. It's beginning to look like I need to reinstall.
R> any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try the following.

1. Open gnome-terminal.

2. Type:

sudo su

and provide your password. Now you're root.

3. cd to /root directory.

cd /root <enter>

4. Issue the following command:

nano .orbitrc <enter>

5. Enter the following two lines:

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0

6. Press ctrl+o and return to save the file.

7. Press ctrl+x to exit nano.

Now your administrative applications should work.

HTH,

Sergei.