Talk on Debian accessibility by Samuel Thibault

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Apr 20 05:17:28 UTC 2008

Earlier this year I was able to get what debian calls gnome-orca and a
desktop environment working on debian for a short time.  Then several
packages were updated and all of that accessability went away.  The
updates not only broke gnome accessability, dpkg which is what debian uses
to install packages has huge trouble if you try to install emacs then
install any add-ons for emacs.  The errors this is causing aren't even
categorized so dpkg just loops around and has no error number for them.
Basicly it can't get a lock on /var/lib/dpkg directory and that breaks the
emacs install.  Another set of packages I can do this with are lprng and
lprng-doc.  I ought to put my typescript file up in my web space so anyone
can read it.  I can do that.  slackware gnome accessability may work or
may not.  I have an nvidia video card in this computer and slackware and
nvidia don't exactly get along.  If I switch the card out I may try
another time and see if I make it all the way.