Debian 2.6.24 Speakup kernel packages now available

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Apr 22 16:56:56 UTC 2008

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Tony Baechler, le Tue 22 Apr 2008 09:13:03 -0700, a écrit :
>
>> Again, feedback would be helpful.  Future builds should be better but
>> I'm trying to determine if the kernel with Speakup is useful enough to
>> make it worth building newer kernels in the future.
>>

> Note: there currently are plans to get speakup officially compiled in
> linux-modules-extra. That doesn't provide boot-time speakup however.

Hi,

Currently, I only have the Speakup core and DEC-talk Express built into
the kernel and the other synthesizers built as modules.  Would it be
helpful to build everything into the kernel so all synthesizers could
read boot messages?  Is there any benefit to building the core into the
kernel or would it work as well if it's loaded as a module?  How much
memory does a kernel with all synthesizers require compared to one with
no built-in synthesizers?