The difference a key press makes when installing Ubuntu

Martin Courcelles martinfc at rogers.com
Wed Aug 6 13:47:10 UTC 2008

Hello there,
Recently, I posted a question about getting speech to work under a Ubuntu
install.  After many hours of fruitless attempts, I finally figured out
what the problem was.  The key sequence I was using to start the speech
install was outdated.  I wasn't aware that the menu had changed from
version 7 to 8.04.  Therefore, if anyone is attempting to install this
distribution in the next while, here are the initial steps, so you don't
waste your time as well.
1.  Boot the computer and wait until you hear your CD spinning.
2.  Press enter and then down arrow.
3.  Press f5 and then the number 3.
4.  Press enter twice and wait about a minute until speech starts.

Once you've got speech the install is pretty much a breeze.
	For further information on Installing Ubuntu, there's a great audio
demonstration at the following web page:
www.blindcooltech.com

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
martin