ubuntu server-8 64-bit Accessibility

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:59:48 UTC 2008

	I burned a CDROM of the 64-bit ubuntu-server Version 8
CDROM and first tried the old standby for a serial console of

linux console=ttyS0,9600,n,8,1

with no results after many tries. I had someone look at a
monitor and the CD boots right in to the language selection
screen. The accessibility options are impressive just like the
desktop version but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to
get a serial console.

	I would be perfectly happy with ssh or telnet methods
for installation so I am digging.

	The server, a Dell Poweredge2950 has no sound system if
anyone is wondering why I just didn't choose the screen reader.
It looks like the start up sequence is the same as ubuntu
desktop which would be fine if there was a sound card.

	I have posted a question to the ubunto mailing list and
will let this list know what I found so consider this a
heads-up. ubuntu seems to be very aware of accessibility so I
will be surprised if there is not a workable solution.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer