ubuntu server-8 64-bit Accessibility

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Dec 8 20:01:48 UTC 2008

Samuel Thibault writes:
> Should rather be
>
> linux console=ttyS0,9600n8
>
> or just
>
> linux console=ttyS0
>
> since 9600n8 is already the default.

	Thank you. I am learning all sorts of useful things.

	I heard back from a member of the ubuntu discussion all
ready and also got good news which I will share.

	to get a serial console started from a standard
ubuntu-server Version 8 CDROM, you do the following:

1. Install the CDROM and boot.
2. After the system has started, hit Enter once which selects
English on the language selection screen.

3. Hit F6 which is a boot options line and backspace 3 times.

4. Type console=ttyS0 and hit Enter

	It worked and I am now in the midst of building a
server.

	Short of having it magically figure out that one needs a
serial console on boot, this is about as good as it gets.

	Actually, that last part would be nice but it is
probably not feasible due to the tremendous variation in
hardware and BIOS setup configuration.

Martin McCormick