Older Computers and New Speech Engines

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:48:13 UTC 2008

"Martin" writes:
> Have you had someone verify for you that Orka is indeed being loaded after
> the successful boot up?
> Do you have a USB sound device kicking around?  Maybe it could detect
> that.

	Excellent questions. I haven't had anybody look at the
screen yet. The boot process when Orca is loading is about 7 or
8 minutes long. You can hear the CDROM loading lots of files
during that time and the demo on blindcooltech played that same
chord just before the speech saying "Welcome to Orca" started.

	Also, afterward, the disk starts up every time I bring a
finger over the mouse pad and move it around.

	The USB sound card idea is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Martin