Fedora core 10 live CD

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Dec 20 18:06:49 UTC 2008

You don't need to specify a username. Wait long enough, and gdm will
launch the GNOME Desktop for you, at which point you can issue Alt+F2,
type 'orca' and press ENTER to configure Orca.

You'll then be asked if you want to logout in order that Orca settings
take effect. Do it and be patient a second time. Once again, gdm will
eventually hand you off to the GNOME Desktop, but there will not be
speech yet.

Once again, issue Alt+F2, type 'orca' and press enter. You'll now have a
system talking via Orca and Festival.

Unfortunately, there are no sonic queues to let you know the Desktop has
loaded. I think this is a design error in general, whether or not one is
on a live disk, but that's the way it is. So, just be very patient. It
does work. I've even managed to launch on an older machine with only
256Mb RAM.

Janina